Sure-Fire Conversation Starters
- Compliment the other person on something he or she is wearing.
- Wear an unusual item that will encourage questions.
- Keep abreast of local happenings so that you can comment on a current event.
- Talk about the eventful journey getting to your present meeting place.
- Talk about the weather.
- Talk about sports, but only if you think the other person would be interested.
- Talk about your hobby.
- Talk about culture.
Taboo Topics For Small Talk
- Comparison of salaries
- Cost/ Prices of items one is wearing
It is advisable to avoid the discussion of issues which may result in an actual exchange of deeply-held convictions, opinions or ideas. This may lead to social awkwardness and/ or unpleasantness.
Mrs Jagjeet Singh runs a homebased consultancy on communication skills, public speaking skills and language development. She also does corporate training programmes.